Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blessed Lughnasadh!

Today we celebrate the first harvest.
 We're starting to notice the change of the season, and recognize the sun doesn't stay out as late as it has been over the summer.  This year, we may even start to see the seasons change a little earlier than usual.

In olden times, a ritual was done during Lughnasadh/Lammas, so ensure a plentiful harvest season.  As with many holidays, it is a time to reflect on ourselves; our gain, loss... to think of changes we wish to see in ourselves, and put into fruition.  

There are many great write ups on this holiday, and I won't pretend to be as knowledgeable as, say, a High Priestess.  However, I do know this is a time of celebration, and how to make a mini feast for someone on a budget (aka students!).

It's all about the Grain 
As this is a celebration of harvest, the feast vastly orients itself around grain and fruit.
I found myself unable to put together a proper feast - as I don't normally eat a lot of the typical Lughnasadh meals.
After riffling through my cupboards, fridge and freezer, I came up with a modern, (although rather processed) easy make meal for the holiday.

For the grain of it all
Often, breads, meats and fruits were eaten in celebration and ritual, along side with mead, ale and wine.

I rarely drink, so I don't have any beer or wine in the apartment, but if you do, this is a great time to drink it!
Instead, I have some pomegranate tea (for Persephone).  Other suggestions, if you have them, would be apple cider, fruit juices or fruit teas.

My main meal included garlic bread, and beef patties - both were cheap at the grocery store (and I had them in my freezer already).  I've heard of people also making taco salads or taco dumplings, lamb or beef patties or burgers.

For an easy, no fuss dessert, I have wild berry toaster strudels.
Apple pies, fruit jams and tarts are also excellent options!

Normally, I would have liked to have things like corn, stews with fresh baked breads, fruit tarts... This year, that wasn't an option, but I have to say I still enjoyed my little celebration; even if it wasn't very traditional!

Excellent Reads
Here are a few sites with more information on Lughnasadh and other holidays
Lammas (About)

Witch School (has a variety of classes, and information; sign up required though)
Witchvox
Wiccan Tradition (UK) 



I personally prefer pouring over books (even the teen witchcraft books like Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation - one I have in my bookshelf and read through many times a year.), so if you're really interested in getting to know more, I'd definitely suggest doing research outside the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment